Getting Advice

Who is my advisor?

All Physics majors and minors, as well as students in the Physics concentration of the BS in Science program are advised by Dr. Kristin Luery.

How do I make an appointment with my advisor?

Make an advising appointment through VCU’s online advising portal by going to your page and clicking on “Advising Appointments” in the right-hand toolbar.

If Dr. Kristin Luery is not your assigned advisor, you can email her at to set up an appointment

Can I get walk-in advice without an appointment?

The Physics Student Administration Coordinator, Jeannie Friedrich, in the department office (701 W. Grace St., room 2401) can answer many questions about our courses and programs and will refer you to the advisor or the department chair if necessary.   However, be sure to make an appointment with your advisor before making decisions about your curriculum.

Adding or Changing a Major or Minor

I would like to change my major to physics or add physics as a 2nd major. What is the process?

First, complete the Change of Major/Concentration Form at  Next, email the Physics Advisor, Dr. Kristin Luery, at and make an appointment to discuss your change of major.

I am a current physics major, but would like to change to another discipline. What is the process?

The Change of Major/Concentration Form can be found at

It is highly recommended that you make an appointment with your Physics Advisor, Dr. Kristin Luery, to discuss your intention to change your major. She is familiar with other departments around campus and can connect you to the appropriate people in your prospective new department.